Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Nightmare seeks to return!

Anyone who is in Nigeria and pays attention to his surroundings knows that it’s election season. Other than the daily prayer for Nigeria, I have not given it too much thought. Not until now anyways. And now its not that I’ve suddenly becoming politically inclined or especially interested, but I came across something that absolutely caught my fancy. Simply put, it was the gall, the effrontery, the audacity of a man, how a person could be so shameless.

I was looking through the TELL Magazine dated September 27 (they produce each one to last for a week), when I saw a special report written by some dude called Tunde Babatunde. This special feature was on Ibrahim Babangida, and his presidential ambition. The obviously well paid sell-out of a reporter took out time and effort to compile all of IBB’s ‘achievements’ when he was in power form 1985 to 1993. This feature, which took half of the magazine was ludicrous! I could not believe what I was reading! This reporter who was either unborn during IBB’s regime, or has suddenly developed selective amnesia, or just cares more for the well being of his pocket than for the future of his children, went on and on about how that period was Nigeria’s ‘golden age’. I thought, this guy has gotta be kidding! He listed the many great things that the tyrant did for this nation, stupid stupid things o, I might add, like development of science and technology, indigenization of the upstream petroleum industry (indeed...), agriculture, a steel plant that hardly even works, blah, blah, blah, things which are of no real consequence to the life and survival of a nation.Dear followers, it was quite a lot of crap that this reporter put up! Rubbish infrastructural facilities that this demon of a man allegedly put in place in Nigeria. Things that add absolutely n value to the well-being of the common man.

This dude had the gall to write that IBB is the best president that Nigerians are expecting. They went and dug up pictures of him with Margaret thatcher,of him laughing gleefully with Obasanjo...who gives a hoot? As if this was not bad enough, this Tunde Babatunde interviewed some mallams, also well paid no doubt, who opened their betraying mouths and were saying hogwash, like how IBB has the ability to rule Nigeria, how he is people oriented, how the masses are yearning for him. God forbid!!!

I wonder why they did not come to the south to get some opinions. The reporter would probably be tied to a stake and lynched.

I cant help wondering, what the heck is going on in that man’s head? Does he think Nigerians have forgotten the disasters which he single-handedly brought upon this land? Does he think we have forgotten the likes of Dele Giwa, and many others, whom he annihilated for speaking the truth? Does he really believe that he can bribe all of us with 5000 naira, which he probably wont even pay, so that we can sell our souls into slavery again? Now I get why some people could not find any pity in their hearts when his wife died. The woman went about doing this program and that movement, things which would have been absolutely unnecessary if her husband was not busy stealing all the nation’s resources.

Nigerians yearn for him a much as they yearn for poverty and death. He is a bigger idiot that I thought if he thinks the people have forgotten...because the people are like the mafia...we never forget. Not this kind of thing anyway. Not a blow that has left our nation crippled. Heck, we still feel the impact of the blow till today. It is obscene and downright insulting for a person like that to rare his head in public, not to mention contesting for the presidency.

Whatever ideas his ‘advisers’ have been feeding him with, whatever is giving him hope that he is not just wasting stolen money on a useless venture, will follow him to his grave and probably convince him that he is no invinsible he can fly.

However, It is between him and God what his judgement will be. In the meantime, his hope for return will not go past that. Hope. Not if we are still a people with reason and memory. And not if there is still a God alive in heaven, ruling in the affairs of men.
This nightmare needs to stay where it belongs: in the past, as a horrible experience which we suffered before, never to repeat itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment