My mother is awesome. I mean, I know most people go on about how they have the best mum in the world, but my Ma is truly special. And most times, you might not get the importance of something until the possibility of its loss stares you in the face.
The time had come for me to get a new phone. So in my choice of this accessory, I felt like such a sell-out to myself and my principles. People that know me know that I’m not the greatest fan of the Blackberry. Even more importantly, I seriously dislike anything second-hand, or used, except maybe its a really good car.
With this in mind, you can imagine my displeasure when I had to settle for a somewhat used...let me stop being nice... a SECOND HAND Blackberry! But I fully blame that condition that makes the crayfish bend. I thought perhaps the BB would be my best bet if I hope to stay in touch with my university buddies. So I decided, what the heck? Might as well give it a shot. And I didn’t have much time to save up properly because my father who gave me a fraction of what I needed was already asking about the new phone.
Anyway, when I did get the phone, my dad, in his typical fashion, totally attacked my choice, and i was not really expecting anything different. Thankfully, he did not know of its second-handedness, if not, I would have really heard it.
My mum on the other hand was cool about it, but apparently, she detests second hand phones more than I do. So, the following day, my Ma decided that she would give me the money I needed to get a brand new one.
You might be wondering, what’s so special about this? You see, the reason why this was a huge gesture for me was because she has been under alot of financial stress, and I do mean a lot! This second hand vehicle that she just got for work purposes has had one problem or the other cropping up everywhere (surprise surprise!), amongst other things. So there’s a reason I did not ask her for money to buy the phone. She could have said, child, manage whatever you have, get a cheaper phone, or something that would probably have been justified. But she was willing to help out, because she knew it would make me happy. The fact that she was willing to put down something just so I could get the best of what i wanted was just so amazing. It made me remember other times when this lady would bend over backwards just so her children could be happy. She would deny herself of stuff, work hard, just to see us smiling and make sure we get the best of things. Then I decided, that by God’s special grace, my mum is going to be very comfortable and happy old lady. Like i will do everything in my power to make sure she is very comfortable and lives a good life. I’ll try my best to make her real proud of me. Even though I know her investments are based solely on love and not on some desire to reap in the future, she will most definitely reap. And to the best of my ability, I will not let anyone deprive my mother of seeing her children prosperous, simply because of their stubborn, irritatingly egotistical and I-know -everything attitude. Gosh, human beings are so myopic sometimes, and the ones that should know better are so painfully clueless...
No comments:
Post a Comment